Friday, October 24, 2008

Abrock Ned - The Story

Well, let's see. "King Ned Rules" - is Sonya's catch cry for her very special friend & equine partner. It wasn't all that an auspicious start for Ned. He came to us out of the drought as an undergrown "pony" with a glimmer of good breeding. (I'm sure someone would say the same about me:)

To be honest I never thought he would be as successful as he was - early in the piece he had a suspect knee (in my mind; not in Ned's apparently)..... There were three of them - I nicked named the "boys from the bush" and dreamed one day that each might achieve a Quilty completion and the buckle that goes with that.....

All up Dad (Barney) paid $200 for them. They came to Queensland and we (meaning Marty/Maurice) started them under saddle and the rest (as they say) is history. Ned was by far the most successful but the other two Fireaway and Spotty (aka Flyer) were also incredible endurance horses for their inauspicious start in life.

Ned achieved two QBs, Spotty managed one and Fireaway and I got within 14km of the final third one.....such is the nature of endurance.... I love character building...

Ned went to live with Sonya after both her mares were claimed by a mystery illness.....

.

No comments: